Monday, June 12, 2006

The Lord is Speaking to Me


"Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life. Put away from you a deceitful mouth, and put devious lips far from you." Proverbs 4:23-24

"We want to encourage you today to watch what you are saying. Your words have creative power and you can use them as a destructive force or as an instrument of blessing. If you continually speak negative words over your life, then eventual defeat will be the result. In the same way, if you speak words of faith and victory, you will see a harvest of blessing not only in your own life, but also in the lives of those around you.
When you find yourself in a difficult situation, don't say the first thing that pops into your head. Learn to control your emotions and take those thoughts captive. When you use words of faith and victory God will fight your battles for you. You'll overcome every challenge that you face and you will live the abundant life that God has in store for you."

So, just as I was writing a comment on someone else's blog, about where I get my inspiration to write, and email came in with my 2 daily devotionals that come from Joel Osteen Ministries and The Purpose Driven Life. The above is from Joel Osteen Ministries.


I have been putting a lot of effort into curbing my tongue. When I get frustrated with a situation, I say bad words. As a matter of fact, as I was sitting here, typing, this particularly persistant fly wanted to land on my face. I waved him away a few times, then he landed on my lip. Honestly!
So I picked up some papers and tried to chase him down and swat him, with no luck. Can you feel the frustration level rising? He'd hide, only to come back, just as I managed to type a few words. That was it! As I stood, brandishing the papers to swat, I began calling him a string of words that would come out of a sailor's mouth.

The second I heard myself, I stopped and prayed a little prayer that the Lord would give me the strength to let go of anger and frustration, so that it doesn't pour out of my mouth. I know that there are things I need to let go of so that the Lord can fill those spaces with love and joy. Day by day, I am locating them and sweeping them out of my life.

God, make me an instrument of blessing to those around me. I praise You for giving me self control to hold my tongue rather than give life to negative thoughts. I want to have a positive life full of joy; let that be reflected in what I say today. In Jesus' name – Amen.

No comments: