Saturday, April 01, 2006

What Do You Think Christianity Is?


When Kelli wrote to me today, telling me about some men at her workplace(2 atheists and a non-christian catholic), saying to her, that prayer doesn't work and other comments about, "you christians". It made me think, what do non-christians around us think we believe?

The best way to find out is to ask them, "What do you think a Christian is? What do you think I believe? Once we find that out, we can really tell them what we believe. We need to explain it in words they can understand, not Christian catch-phrases or references to Bible verses(without quoting them) that they wouldn't know about. We need to be clear and concise; it's not an opening for a sermon.

Jesus saved me because I chose to believe in Him and I confessed that I was a sinner and asked for forgiveness. I believe that I am forgiven for my sins and saved into life after death by the blood of Jesus' death on the cross as He interceded for me with the Father. I believe in the Trinity: the Father, Son and Holy Spirit--three persons in one God. I believe that the Son, Jesus became human for the sake of saving all who believed in Him. I believe that the Bible is the word of God and I can learn about Him and how to live my life by reading it. I talk to my Lord through prayer, that the Holy Spirit dwells in me and He can speak for me to God when I have no words to express how I feel. I believe in the grace of God, that I am not perfect(far from it), but I am forgiven. I believe that my prayers are always answered--sometimes in that moment, sometimes later or sometimes the answer is "no" or "wait". And sometimes prayer is way for me to change my attitude about someone or some event. I believe in that Jesus will come again, as He promised for his people, the trumpet will sound and those of us still alive will be caught up into the air to be with Him. I believe that there will be a final spiritual battle on earth for those that are left behind and they will choose God or Satan to be with for eternity. That there will be the Final Judgement and those whose names are not written in the Book of Life will be thrown into the Lake of Fire. I believe that I will see the throne of God live in the Holy City forever.

Amen. Come swiftly, Lord Jesus!

I want to make my daily life a prayer to God, but often get entangled in the world. I have to live here and often I get caught up in the details and lose sight of the big picture. I guess that's why they say, "The devil is in the details", huh? As I've said before, and it says in Ephesians 6 we are in a spiritual battle here on earth. I've chosen my side, have you?

2 comments:

Kelli B said...

Wow. Awesome! Thanks for posting that. Friday, when I left work and was driving, I just wept b/c I thought of all the things I "could have" or "would have" said if I'd had it to do all over again. HIndsight...

But, I am thankful because I am learning! I'm learning how other people think, I'm learning that I dont even have to SPEAK about my faith or beliefs (i've NEVER once said anything about what I believe directly aloud in the office, or spoken in such a way as to condemn others for what they say and do) and people just KNOW. I'm learning that I have a need to start speaking up - I want to pray that the Spirit would lead me and impress heavily on my heart IN THE MOMENT.

My husband reminded me on Saturday that I have been PRAYING for this to happen. I've begun praying that God would reveal to me in greater ways the spiritual battle that exists. I think this was another way He is showing me the battle...and it's right before my eyes.

Diana said...

Yeah Auntee!

Lately I've been trying to figure out how I would explain Jesus to people. One thing I thought of bringing up was the fact that He only lived to be 33...

love you!