Monday, July 24, 2006

The Book Fish!


When Carol at "She Lives" mentioned Pike Place Market, it brought to mind all the times I've gone there while visiting my friend who lives in Olympia. My next thought was of the fish market inside where they toss the fish through the air. Then I remembered reading the book called, "FISH". The goal of the FISH Philosophy is to learn how to boost morale and improve operational results in a business organization. As the authors put it "Enclosed are the keys to creating an innovative and accountable work/home environment where a playful, attentive, and engaging attitude leads to more energy, enthusiasm, productivity, and creativity." It can work at home too. BTW, I'm not saying it replaces reading the Bible or other inspirational reading.......

It's just that I am not a naturally positive and happy person. In my natural state, I tend toward the negative and gloomy side. I work very hard to stay positive. Sometimes I need reminders and some simple steps to "keep my sunny side up"!!!


The four key points of the philosophy are:


Play - have fun and create energy at home or at the office.

Make their day - how can you engage fellow employees, customers, family members and make each other's day?

Be Present - How can you make sure you are fully available and aware during conversations with people? It is about create a greater sense of intimacy between individuals.

Choose Your Attitude - Each day you choose how you are going to act or which "side of the bed" you wake up on. The choice is yours and, the way you act, affects others. How about the attitude of Gratitude to God for all we have?

The book is able to illustrate one point extremely effectively. It shows how attitudes can impact a setting and how many of us don't understand how our attitude impacts our work setting and quality of life. It's also hard to put into practice. I'm usually good for a week or two, then a series of "Job"-like (pronounced JOBE, like that guy who has a book in the Bible) events happen and my attitude gets stinky. Sometimes, I just need to be reminded that Attitude is everything. When I have a good one, no one can bring me down. When I have a bad attitude, everyone knows it--and runs!

Maybe some real cute post-its will help me remember that I choose my attitude every day. Just cause I stub my toe, I can choose to laugh instead of get crabby.

No comments: